Arrival and Dismissal
- The school day starts at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 2:41 p.m. Early release days end at 12:26 p.m. Breakfast is served each morning starting at 7:40 a.m. Please try to arrive with enough time to eat breakfast and make it to class by 8:00 a.m.
- Please email Jackie Ventura or call 703-228-8707 if students are going to be absent.
- Please send a note or an email before 10:00 a.m. with any dismissal changes. Children will not be allowed to change the way they go home without a note, an email, or a call to the office. If your child goes to extended day please send in a note for Extended Day Staff.
Communication Through Thursday Folders
- Please check Thursday Folders each week for student work, permission slips, grade level newsletters, etc. It is important that Thursday Folders be returned every Friday, so we can check for notes, permission slips, etc. and have the folder for the following week.
- The 2018-2019 homework policy for 2nd Grade is: 20 minutes of independent or assigned reading per night, and 20 minutes of math per night. Students will bring home a writing journal that they may choose to continue work at home each night. Please do not spend more than the allotted time on math homework. Let teachers know if students are struggling with or spending more time on homework than this guideline.
The Workshop Model
- We use the Workshop Model in reading, writing, and math.
- We will use Lucy Calkins Units of Study to guide our Reading and Writing Workshop. (More Information will be given at Back to School Night)
- The Math workshop model revolves around number sense, mini-lessons, differentiated centers, and differentiated small group instruction to meet the individual needs of the students.
2nd Grade Expeditions
- Fall Expedition
- Economics: Expedition on Natural Resources and Local Markets
- Spring Expedition
- Ecosystems and interdependence: Expedition on Adaptations