Resources For Families

Dates to Know

Covid-19 Vaccine:  Find out if you are eligible to sign up now for the vaccine. More at

Winter weather & APS: During inclement weather, distance learning will continue providing there is no interruption in power or network connectivity. If schools and facilities need to close due to weather, Level 1 students attending school in-person will temporarily return to distance learning.

Desks for distance learning:  Your child may be able to get a free desk through the Desks by Dads project of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church. There are 100 desks (2 x 2.75 feet) available on a first-come, first-served basis. Contact your school’s social worker (

Help with utility payments: If you are having trouble paying your water and sewer bills because of a pandemic-related loss of income, you may qualify to get your bills paid through a new Arlington County program. Call the Utility Relief hotline at 703-228-5080 on weekdays from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. to find out if you are eligible. Deadline is Jan. 15.

Share Your Views on Race and Equity

Arlington County is collecting feedback from residents on their experiences and opinions about race and equity to help the County learn how to improve racial equity. You can fill out a questionnaire in Spanish, Arabic, Mongolian, or English at

Arlington Public Library

Now has a free YouTube channel for kids, with interactive story times and fun programs. In English. Find out more here:

Technology Support

APS has a Family Technology Call Center, 703-228-2570, that you can call to get help with Internet access. Hours are 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. on Friday. Help is available in English and Spanish. You can also report a problem to your school ITC by filling out a form at For more info on how to set up and use devices, see

Help with Free Comcast Internet Service

APS is paying for up to 12 months of Comcast Internet Essentials service for qualified families. If you have previously applied for this Internet service and been denied, APS encourages you to reapply because restrictions on who can qualify have been loosened. Call your child’s school to get a sponsorship code. If you can’t reach anyone, leave a voicemail with your name and contact info and ask for a call back.

Free WiFi

Arlington County has 19 locations with free outdoors WiFi hotspots where you can access the Internet. Check here to find out where they are.

Middle & High School Option Choices

The application process for option schools and programs for middle and high school students has opened. Families interested in applying may do so through the online application portal. The deadline is Jan. 15, 2021. For assistance with completing applications, contact the Welcome Center at 703-228-8000 or at More info is available at

Helpful Webinars on Distance Learning – In Different Languages

Breakfasts and Lunches

  • Grab & Go breakfasts and lunches are available on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at:  Abingdon, Arlington Career Center, Arlington Traditional, Ashlawn, Barcroft, Barrett, Campbell, Carlin Springs, Dr. Charles R. Drew, Glebe, Gunston, Hoffman-Boston, Jefferson, Kenmore, Key Long Branch, Randolph, Swanson, The Heights, Wakefield, Washington-Liberty, Yorktown. APS is delivering meals to the following locations: Greenbriar Baptist Church, Lee Community Center, Upton Hill Regional Park for Patrick Henry Apartments, Virginia Highlands Park, Woodbury Park, Columbia Grove and Walter Reed Community Center).
  • Families may pick up meals at the location closest to them. ALL students 18 and under are eligible to receive meals. No student ID is required. See info on holiday areas under NEW.

If Your Child is Depressed or Anxious

You can contact your child’s school and ask to speak to the social worker. In middle and high schools, you can contact an EL Counselor – call your child’s school office and ask for the EL Counselor. Also, you can contact CR2, a 24-hour, multilingual, no-cost crisis line at 844-627-4747, or call the SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990 24 hours a day, toll-free, to talk to a multilingual therapist. In an emergency, call the County at 703-228-5160 or 911. A complete list here:

Also, visit the website for your child’s school and click on In Crisis/Need Help Now? at the bottom on the left-hand side.

More Help

APS Bilingual Family Liaisons can help if you can’t find the right telephone number to call. For Bilingual Family Liaison contact info, see the attachment.


  • Free groceries:  To receive information on where to obtain food, text FOOD or COMIDA to 877-877.
  • Monday-Friday:
    • Arlington Food Assistance Center, 2708 S. Nelson St., 9:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. You may pick up food once a week. You must have an AFAC Client Card, which you get through a referral. To get a referral: Call your school social worker, the Arlington Department of Human Services at 703-228-1300 or BU-GATA at 703-465-5570. Bring a photo ID with you to pick up food. You may pick up food one time only without a client card, if you bring a photo ID and proof you live in Arlington. AFAC will not share your information with anyone.
    • ALSO:
      • Tuesday:  St. Charles Borromeo, 3304 Washington Blvd., 10:00 a.m. – noon or until food runs out. No referral needed.
      • Wednesday:  Our Lady Queen of Peace, 2700 S. 19th St., 9:30-11:30 a.m. or until food runs out. No referral needed.
      • Friday: AFAC at 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., Assembly of God church, 4501 N. Pershing Dr. rear entrance.
      • Saturday:  AFAC distribution at 1) Clarendon United Methodist Church, 606 N. Irving St., 8:30-10:30 a.m., for families in North Arlington; 2) 2708 S. Nelson St., 9:00-11:00 a.m. First come, first served. Referral needed.

Rent and Utilities

Evictions:  There is a nationwide ban on evictions through Dec. 31st for tenants who can show they can’t pay rent because of pandemic-related income losses. You MUST sign a specific statement saying that and give it to your landlord. Find out if you are eligible and read the statement here: Eviction FAQs. This means that if you get a “pay or quit” notice, you do NOT have to move. Contact your landlord instead or call Virginia Poverty Law Center at 1-833-NOEVICT or Legal Services of Northern Virginia at 703-532-3733. You may get help with rent through Arlington County or THRIVE. Call 703-228-1300. Arlington County will NOT share your information with anyone.

Utilities:  You may be able to avoid disconnections by utilities (electricity, natural gas, sewer and water) by calling to work out a payment plan.

General Help

From the County:

To access videos in other languages:

Other Assistance

Salvation Army: fill out a form and submit it here: English application (Spanish application) or call 703-979-3380. Find out more about help available from Arlington County at


  • COVID-19 Testing:  Arlington County operates a free, walk-in testing clinic open weekdays from noon-5:00 p.m. at Arlington Mill Community Center, 909 S. Dinwiddie St. No doctor’s referral required. You do not need an appointment, but may make one by calling 703-912-0118 M-F between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Testing is also available there until 7:00 p.m. on the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month (2 additional hours) and from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month. For general questions about testing, call Arlington County at 703-228-7999 or see Neighborhood Health provides COVID-19 testing free for some uninsured patients. Call 703-535-5568 to get a telehealth evaluation before scheduling a test.
  • Anxiety/depression:  In an emergency, call the County at 703-228-5160. To talk to a therapist, call 703-228-5150, or call or text for free to Virginia COPES at 877-349-6428 9:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. Monday to Friday and 5:00-9:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. A complete list of resources is here
  • Domestic violence:  Call 703-237-0881 to talk to a counselor about your options. In an emergency, call 911.
  • Source: Superintendent’s Advisory Committee on Immigrant and Refugee Student Concerns.